The Trivia—or Mass Quiz—is one of the most popular and versatile activities in Duelbox. It can be used for quizzes and trivia games that all of your participants should already be familiar with. These games have the combined benefits of being very enjoyable, while also being familiar enough that they will be appropriate for almost any gathering.
The Trivia is a Play Together game.
A Trivia may have different question types.
If you are thinking about tweaking the gameplay, make sure to check the Overview on Trivia Games to see other options as well.
Workflow of the Trivia
The Trivia is constantly in one of the following states:
- None displayed: No question is displayed
- Open: The question is visible, players can answer. The timer starts ticking (if there is any)
- Closed: The question is visible, but the players cannot respond. Dramatic tension
- Solution: The question and the solution are visible. Players see whether they have the correct solution or not.
When playing, the Trivia typically follows this pattern:
None displayed ➡ Open ➡ Closed ➡ Solution ➡ Open (next question) ➡ Closed ➡ Solution ➡ ...
Make sure you're already familiar with controlling games on the Dashboard.
On the Control Box, you can control the gameplay. Most of the said control will take the following forms: displaying questions, closing them, displaying the solution, and moving on to the next one.
When the Trivia is in the "None displayed" state (see above) you can cycle through the questions without consequence. (On the Big Screen and the Participants View, an intro text is displayed.) But when a question is active, the control always displayed the question visible to the participants.
Here you can add and edit the questions. Note that every question type has a slightly different editor.
You can also import & export the questions. This works well between different Trivia Games, and can even function in different shows.
Here you can set the base time of the built-in stopwatch or the attached Countdown. This can be done even when a question is not displayed. See more below, at the Stopwatch Link)
The Troll filter function can only be used in some templates (not in ABCD questions). If you turn this on, statistics will still work normally, but you can hijack "trolls", so they can’t enter silly guesses. This would be a good way to get back at some of your colleagues...
In the Style tab, you can further customize the look and feel of your trivia. Make sure to check that your design looks good for each question type in each state. Be sure to check the Participants' View as well.
Turning the scores off is possible, though usually not recommended as most trivia games rely on scoring. If you decide to turn it off, you will see a warning in the header of the control box.
Read more about the general score system and the scoring of the different question types.
Here you can choose to:
- Use the built-in stopwatch. (You can configure its time at the Settings.)
- Link an existing Countdown activity. (With this, you can either display the countback only or may pause the countback.)
- Turn the timer off.
The Stopwatch will reset and start the countback when a question is shown. It closes the question on timeout and will set the remaining time to zero when a question is closed manually.
Normally, there are four types of sound during the game:
- Displayed sound when a question is displayed.
- Countback from 10 seconds. (Stopped when the question is hidden.)
- Gong at timeout.
- Solution sound when the solution is displayed.
If you want to customize your sounds, upload your sound files to the Sound System and use Automations to play them.
You can make this Quiz be a Minion and follow another one, the Master Quiz. Available settings:
- Delay (milliseconds): The minion will follow the Master Quiz with such delay. This is useful when having a Quiz for the in-person audience and another, delayed one for the stream viewers. Most of the streams work with a considerable delay (15-30 seconds), and you can use this setting to sync the delayed stream (showing the Big Screen of the Master Quiz) and the Participants' Views (showing the Minion Quiz)
- Sync Questions: When turned on, all questions will be copied from the Master to the Minion. If you create, change, or delete a question in the Master, the same will happen in the Minion. This is useful for the stream setup, but not a good idea when you use this link to have a quiz game in multiple languages.
- Forward Answers: When turned on, the Minion will forward all its answers to the Master. There are a few caveats though:
- Make sure to either disable the scoring or set the correct & wrong scores to 0 on the Scores Tab of the Minion.
- Don't use this feature when you use Delays. If the Master Quiz is already closed and the Minion is still Open, then the valid answers from the Minion will be discarded in the Master.
Use the Master Quiz link instead.
Use the Master Quiz link instead.
Article is closed for comments.